Sunday, January 13, 2008

Vegetable-based soap vs. Regular soap


This a very important message. Some regular soaps have PETROLEUM. That's really bad. Vegetable-based soaps do not, so they are better for the earth.

Regular soap uses a precious resource, oil. Oil is a non-renewable resource and it is becoming scare. We use oil on a daily basis. Cars,electricity, airplanes,trains,plastics and many more items use oil. The more oil we save the better we preserve our earth.

Petroleum is also toxic. Imagine using petroleum on your dishes where your food goes! Wouldn't you be a lot better off using vegetable based soap?

My mom, after learning about this, said she would switch to using vegetable based soaps and cleaning products. She was also invited to a "healthy home experience" party. She is going to learn about products that are better for the earth. I'll post again about this after the party.

Here is what one soap making company said:
"If every household in the U.S. replaced just one bottle of 25 oz petroleum based dishwashing liquid with our 25 oz vegetable based product, we could save 81,000 barrels of oil, enough to heat and cool 4,600 U.S. homes for a year!"

Do you want to switch? Tell me if have and how you like it.

This is Addison,signing off until next time. See ya!

14 comments:

amanda jane said...

well done Addy, get the word out! love reading your posts.
Aunt Amanda

douglas hunter said...

Addi,

now you've made me wonder, what about other products that are harmful such as bleach. What can be used to replace it?

Michele said...

I don't know but I can try to find out. Mom is going to find out about Shaklee products.

Chelsea said...

Hello Addison!
I really enjoyed reading this post. It was very informative. I am also interested in doing small things to help our planet. I'll have to look for vegetable-based soaps next time I go shopping. I look forward to your next post!
Sis. Monson

The Hills... said...

Addison,

You are so ambitious! I never really thought about my dish soup. Mine is running out...I'll take more thought in the next bottle I buy!

Love your blog,

Cousin Callie

The Hills... said...

Whoops, I meant to write soap...not soup! :)

Nicole Hernandez said...

What a cool blog Addi! Are you doing this for school or on your own?

Laura said...

But what about price? Are the vegetable based soaps as inexpensive to produce, and are they as inexpensive to buy as the other stuff? Do you think that you could do an experiment to compare the cleaning capabilities of the two kinds and see if they are comparable?

amanda jane said...

FYI: I use the veg based variety adn although they seem different, they actually work about the same. maybe don't CUT grease like the others advertise, but they get the job done and I am saving resource even if they are a bit more expensive. I hope to start saving at the pump eventually by making this change.

Potters said...

Qustion? Where do you get them? Does Trader Joes offer veg. based soap? Shacklee? Isn't that like Amway? By the way, we have asked for Paper not plastic since your last blog!

Michele said...

Addison says: This is sort of a school project and just for fun. Way to go for the paper bags not plastic.

Potters said...

For info on bleach go to MaCall and Eloise's blog!

April said...

You have convienced me, I will look for vegetable based soap from now on. Homemade soap is also a good alternative, it is made from natural products and is easy on the skin, it also cleans as well as the oil based.
Love Grandma

kate said...

Dial soap is made with beef tallow. As a vegetarian, I was interested in this fact, because of the inhumane treatment of "factory" animals.I didn't know
regular soap was also made w/ petroleum products. Thank you!