Monday, January 28, 2008

Packaging Scavenger Hunt



Here is a fun challenge. How much aluminum, cardboard, cellophane, foil, paper, plastic, and styrofoam is used to package the foods you eat?

Look through your cupboards and refrigerator. See how many foods you can find with no wrapping, with one wrapping, with two wrappings, and with three or more wrappings. List the foods you find on a chart. Share with me what you find.

FOODS WITH NO WRAPPING: (example: apples, bananas)

FOODS WITH ONE WRAPPING: (example: bread)

FOODS WITH TWO WRAPPINGS: (example: cereal)

FOODS WITH THREE OR MORE WRAPPINGS: (example: microwave dinners)

7 comments:

douglas hunter said...

Addi, I like this challenge a lot. I am often frustrated by how much extra packaging there is on many products. And how much of it can't be re-used. for example, many electronics products are packaging made from stiff plastic that you have to cut open. If you return the item you can't put it back in the package because you had to ruin the package in order to get the item out!

Unknown said...

Addi,
I paid attention yesterday... everything I used had 1- 4 kinds of packaging...
BUT ... if I can I am now declining plastic bags at stores .... silly ol me yesterday.. at Lakeshore... almost did not make it out of the store without dropping stuff.. gotta keep a cloth bag in my car I guess...
you are making me think about waste.. thanks
nancy

Unknown said...

Addi..

I paid attention yesterday... everything I used had 1-4 levels of packaging...
However... I am trying to use plastic bags less...
gotta keep a cloth bag in my car for little trips... arms cannot always carry it al
thanks for keeping us aware of waste
nancy

Michele said...

Addison, I think almost all food has some packaging - unless you get it at places like the farmer's market. I also think it is better to cook and bake more rather than buying prepackaged food. The food is healthier and overall will use less packaging in the long run.

Potters said...

I can't believe how many boxes we crush - cereal, granola bars etc. Just an heads up - MaCall will be phoning you to sell Sees candy...

Potters said...

Addy, I find most of our daily trash is from cereal boxes, granola boxes, aluminum cans etc. It really adds up! A heads up, MaCall is selling See's candy and will be giving you a call!

Michele said...

I found that most things have one rapping and 1 item had three packages. Only 4 had 2.